I started out just searching for medieval hat tutorials and inspiration photos, which lead me to find the Hathaways of Hayworth website. Man, if you need to make a Tudor era costume, I highly recommend looking around her site. She has some pretty amazing costumes that she's made, and she shows the easiest way to produce them. I'll admit I was a little skeptical when I first read through the Easy Gabled Hood tutorial, but her hat did look awesome, so I went for it (and my emotions on the subject went very up and down, lol).
Next came hand sewing all the way around the front to attach the trim piece. This was an interesting challenge. I used a ladder stitch to keep things invisible, and had to make sure everything stayed positioned correctly to line up at the corners. I also tried to curve the piping a bit on the lower sides to give more of the illusion of the whole piece curving. It worked a little.
Next I took the entire remaining piece of my brown floral poly organza I used for my sleeves (which you will see soon, lol), and made a veil. I kept the bottom straight and rounded the top to give the right shape. I did a narrow rolled hem all the way around this piece because I didn't want it to unravel and this stuff frayed like the Dickens. I gathered most of the top to give a good poof on the back, then hand sewed the veil in place. You can also see my sash here (which is what the trim fabric from the hat was originally used for). For the sash I used as much of my little fabric scrap as possible, angling to be slightly narrower at the top, and cutting beveled corners on the bottom to make it look fancier. This thing was super fiddly. I tried to be very careful with the print to make sure it was centered and even all the way down. Next I sewed my brown upholstery piping around the edges, then I sandwiched the whole thing with another scrap of the white bridal muslin to enclose everything on the back. It was really annoying to make (especially because I thought it would be such a quick thing to whip up), but I'm really happy with how it turned out and I think it really gave my outfit a more completed look. Since I want to be able to wear the skirt in a non-costume context, I just attached the sash with safety pins inside the edge of my waistband, so it's removable :)
So that's the down low on my hat :) Next post will be all about the finished outfit and the event itself!