1. Sell My House! I love my house and all, but I've distanced myself mentally enough now that I really just want this monkey off my back. I haven't lived there for 6 months. 6 months! And it still isn't up on the market. My area is selling pretty well right now, so I want to strike while the getting is good. This is my only goal I want to impose a timeline on - I want to have my house listed by the end of January. Here's hoping that posting it here gives me the accountability boost I need to get it done!
2. Sew more patterns - This one goes hand in hand with another online list (#makenine) which I joined in with the best of intentions last year and then didn't sew a single pattern from that list. You'd think that would put me off making the list for this year since I should really just write "see last year's post" and leave it at that BUT NO! I have plenty more patterns I really want to make up :) While these don't trump last year's patterns, they have added themselves to the mental cue, so I'm going to be picking from both lists this year (and let's face it, probably from patterns that never made it onto any list as well, lol). So here is my #2017MakeNine list:
- Cressida skirt by Jennifer Lauren Handmade
- Saltbox Top by Blueprints for Sewing
- Modern Gored Skirt by Indygo Junction
- Butterick 6090 Dress (already out of print!)
- Ginger Jeans by Closet Case Files
- Butterick 6321 dress by Lisette
- Gunmetal top by Lolita Patterns
- Sally Jean Skirt by Style Arc
- Hepburn Henley by Winter Wear Designs
- Bleuet Dress by Deer + Doe
- Butterick 6217 Shirt by Gertie
- Cardamome Dress by Deer + Doe
- Sidekick Wrap Skirt by Indygo Junction
- Mimi Blouse by Tilly and the Buttons
- Wildflower Top by Blank Slate Patterns
- Vintage Simplicity 5259 Dress
- Thurlow Trousers by Sewaholic
- McCall's 6696 Shirt Dress
3. Make Pants! This was one of my goals from last year that didn't happen but it really needs to. I don't fit into ready to wear pants. Period. I have a few that are passable if I wear a long shirt, but because of that stipulation I don't wear them much at all. I want to have some skinny jeans again! I've even figured out a few of my fitting issues in theory (I need a longer rise in the front for example), but I have yet to put anything into practice. I really really want to make jeans. I have the pattern that everyone loves, I have the fabric, I even have the top stitching thread. Jeans will be happening! I just need to set my mind to it and make it happen.
4. Be OK with slowing down - Since one of my reflections from this year was that I am all about the instant gratification and sure win projects, I really want to change that. I want to get better in my sewing, and I know I will not really achieve that goal if I don't push myself. I give myself a pass for 2016 since it was so chaotic, but 2017 has no excuses. I need to just get my head into the groove of spending more time with my projects. I need to be ok with making muslins (I will never get better unless I practice more), and I need to be ok with it taking longer to have a finished piece to wear. It's not like I have no clothes to wear in the meantime! It's just a mental rut and I need to change my habit of wanting it all perfect and fast.
5. Quit putting things off - I am a world class procrastinator, particularly when it comes to anything that requires making an appointment. I know why this is, but since my life isn't as hectic and unpredictable as it has been in previous years I really need to break this habit. I need to go to the eye doctor, get my tires rotated, get acupuncture, and much much more. I don't want to be the typical person who lets one small unpleasant thing deter them from getting things done that they need to. So call it a resolution if you will, but it applies to making things too. I need to get off my duff and just do it already. Usually I could've already had things done by the time I'm done mentally avoiding getting started. and that's just silly. I've already taken steps toward helping this along - my husband got me what I believe will be the perfect planner. I want to be organized with my time, and so wish me luck in my endeavors! This year - I get shit done.
So those are just a few of my goals :) I feel that all of these are realistic to accomplish this year, but at the same time if I don't it's not the end of the world. Life happens, you know? But I'm glad to be pointed in a direction headed into the coming year. It's going to be a good one! I've already decided, lol.