Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Christmas FO: Black Sequin Striped Shirt

My sister, Kelly, requested that I sew her a t-shirt for Christmas - which I was more than happy to oblige since I so enjoy sewing them :) The request got pretty specific - she wanted me to recreate a shirt that she liked the fit of, but in black rayon jersey. "No problem," I thought. I'd just have to find some rayon jersey that wasn't too expensive. Then one day I came across a perfect refashioning specimen at the thrift store...
Sorry for the terrible picture, but it was dark out and I had to get sewing it so this is all I have of what it once looked like. The shirt was a size 2X faux-twin-set by INC. It was designed to look like a sequined striped tank top with a drapey shirt over top, but the tank top was actually just the front of the shirt and it was all sewn as one. Surely this would be enough fabric to make Kelly's shirt, and it would be much cooler than just a boring black top! I tried to feel her out about the sequins and decided to just go with it in the end. So I got to cutting!
I traced off Kelly's beloved shirt and made a pattern, then cut apart the thrifted top. This is where the changes started occurring, lol. Kelly's shirt was a boatneck, and I hoped that since it was such a large size that I would be able to still make the higher neckline happen. Sadly, the scoop was just too far and since Kelly wanted me to make this new shirt longer, I couldn't do the boat neck :( Womp womp. So the shirt that I set out to make "to order" is now nothing like what she requested, lol. I just used the existing scoop neckline and recut the front and back pieces, then I opened up the sleeves and recut them as well. I used the existing hem on all of those pieces as well as the scoop front neck band - the only finishing I had to do was to add a makeshift neckband piece to the back of the neckline, and I cut that piece out of the scraps. I still have the two drapey pieces from this project that I didn't manage to use.
I have to say that I am quite pleased with how this refashion turned out :) As in I borderline wanted to keep this shirt and make her a different one, lol. It was ridiculously difficult to photograph those sequins, but they are a nice little touch that makes the piece look more ready-to-wear in my opinion. As someone who has correctly sewn knit tops, I will confess that it does bug me that the hem and neckbands don't enclose the side seams as they should - but I'm not hung up on that and absolutely no one notices that there is anything different about it. My sister has worn the shirt very frequently and she says she gets compliments on it all the time :)
A little better view of the sequins for you :) I had hoped to get pictures of Kelly wearing the shirt, but we are all busy people and I didn't want to put off posting this forever. To anyone concerned about sewing with sequins - don't be. I did nothing special to work with this fabric. The original shirt had the sequins stop before the side seams, but I just sewed right through them as I took the shirt in and I had zero issues. Kelly says the shirt is comfy and she loves it. Definitely a successful Christmas gift!

Fabric: thrifted INC black with sequins shirt - $3.00
Pattern: copied from RTW shirt - free
Notions: knit stay tape - $0.50, thread - stash
Hours: 2 to 3
Total Cost: $3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!