Friends, it seems I have accidentally turned my sewing room into a 1 woman t-shirt factory this week. I've had several knit top patterns I wanted to sew up, but after an unsuccessful attempt back in April, my dreams of cute t-shirts went by the wayside. Until now :) I had the good fortune of having the Labor Day holiday off work and the house to myself all day, and I decided it was the perfect opportunity to finally hash this out. Now I seem to have tapped into my new addiction, lol. It's only fitting that the first top I made last Monday was the pattern I failed at in April.Parisian Top by Go To Patterns. I snagged the pattern in the Just Add Jeans Pattern Anthology collection - to be honest this shirt was the reason I clicked "checkout". It has a peter pan collar and 3/4 length puffed sleeves - it's so me! I had to have a million of them. I began by cutting the XL size (according to my measurements) in this crazy 1970s flower print knit I got at a thrift store for something like 50¢ a long time ago. I chose this fabric because A) it was cheap and in my stash B) I wasn't so in love with it that I would be upset if it didn't work out and C) I had a remnant of blue (also from a thrift store) that matched it perfect for the collar. So even though this isn't my usual chosen color palette, I decided to go for it on the assumption of a possibly wearable muslin. To be honest though, I actually really like the color combo now that it's done, lol. Judging by the fabric's design and condition, I think I can safely say the flower print is from the 1970s.
SewKeysE Knit Stay Tape. I decided to just piece the tape and use it as interfacing:
Craftsy Zipper Class. I bought mine from Sunni's Shop, A Fashionable Stitch, but she doesn't have the knit tape in stock right now. I used the 1.25" wide inside the collar and I used 1/2" wide at the shoulders and around the neckline to prevent stretching out over time. The directions tell you you can use clear elastic in the shoulder seams, but ... eh, I didn't feel like pulling that out, lol. It is called Stay Tape, after all. It seems to have done a fine job.
So, there you have it :) My first ever successful foray into sewing with knits. I can already tell you it is a new addiction (*cough*I've made 4 shirts in 1 week*cough*). I don't want to bombard my blog with nothing but t-shirts for the next few days, so I'll try to spread these posts out more to break it up :) But there will be more, oh yes, there will be more! And even though this was intended as a muslin, I have already worn it out in the real world and it held up great. I think I like it!
(I've always loved how Cindy at Cation Designs does a round up of materials and cost at the end of her posts, so I'm going to start shamelessly copying her.)
Fabric: 2 yards of 1970s flower mystery knit from the thrift store, 1 yard remnant (as it cut up already) of blue interlock knit from the thrift store
Pattern: Parisian Top by Go To Patterns
Hours: About 4
Total Cost: Maybe $2.00 for fabric and notions, $7.50 for the pattern (but I will totally use this again - actually, I already have, lol)