I've been so bogged down with all the random repairs we've had to do on our house lately that my enthusiasm was really beginning to wane. I decided I needed to switch things up (much to the dismay of my mom), plus my garage was starting to look like a thrift store with all the furniture in there; so I thought I would try my hand at spray painting a few items I had acquired that needed some sprucing. Here are the items before:
The little orange basket was a thrift store find a few months ago and it has been holding my pressing hams :) The green baskets were from the Target dollar spot and I snagged them for $1.25 each.
This baby was given to me by my friend Brenna when she left the country. It's just a basic laminate computer desk, but I have plans to use it for my sewing machine, so it needs a makeover.
So, last Sunday I started priming everything. I wanted to be very thorough so I used different types of paint for different materials. The thread holders I sprayed with Valspar Paint & Primer in White. The metal baskets and metal legs of the desk I sprayed with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer in White. The desk also had plastic caps on the legs and a black plastic edging around the top and little raised section so I lightly sanded the plastic parts and then sprayed them with Valspar's Plastic Primer in Clear.
Yesterday was officially "The Day of the Desk" and I made sure to get it as far as I could in between my other projects inside the house. I did 3 more coats of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer on the legs (I coated until it looked even and 4 coats total seemed to do the job). Following the recommendation of my lovely friend Tara (my spray paint guru), I lightly sanded the laminate parts next. Then I covered all the laminate and plastic with 3 coats of Kilz Spray Primer. I went with the Kilz because I was told to get something that gave a sandy finish so the other paint would be able to grab hold better. By the time I had finished all my priming, the desk looked like this: