Friday, March 1, 2013

An Update on House Progress

Whew! I have been running around like a lunatic for the past few weeks. Sorry my posting has still been so sparse. My daily schedule goes something like wake up, get ready for work, work all day, go home to change, grab fast food for dinner, work at the new house until midnight, go to sleep. This hasn't left me even an iota of time to post here :( It's kind of depressing, but I know it will all be worth it here soon when I am living in my new house :)

So, I promised to report the progress I've made. Some of these photos are a week or so old and more progress may have been made by now, but I'll show you just so you can see what I've been dealing with up to :)

First off, my mom gave me a rose bush for Valentine's Day this year - it's a double knock out bush too :) So, last Thursday the husband and I planted it.
IT looks so much happier now that it's out of that pot, I must say :)
We planted it along the front of the house in front of the garage windows. It looks pretty lonely out there right now, but we plan on getting more of the same bush to plant down that planter, as well as some other lovely flowers down the line.

We've also been working on filling in holes and nasty spots in the walls from the previous owners. It's been nuts! We've spent more time fixing the places that they "fixed" before than we do filling in normal holes. There was one window that had anchors on the sides of the wall that they had actually filled with spray foam! We had to sand the daylights out of it and it's still not perfect, but it's so much better. I won't bore you with a bunch of pictures, except the living room walls. I just had to share...
This wall is no joke at least 15 feet tall - maybe 20 feet, I'm not sure since we haven't measured. Needless to say, it's crazy tall and look at all those spots! It's like the wall has a disease. And who the heck would hang that many things that high up?! So, that's just a small sampling of the holes - trust me, they're everywhere.

Last weekend, my family came over and we had a full family work party on my house. It was fantastic! My mom and I worked more on the kitchen cabinets, my dad and brother (and bro-in-law) worked outside (they replaced my mailbox post and painted it, fixed my garage door opener, trimmed bushes, filled cracks in the brick and painted them and so much more), and my sisters painted my sewing room. We did a few other random jobs mixed in there, but it was fantastic to get so much done and see real progress :)

I had taken pictures of my cabinets to let you see what they look like after the first coat of the real paint color, but we only have a few more to do the final coats on this weekend, so I will save the cabinets for a final reveal in a few days :) I'm so excited to show you, it was quite the transformation.

I do, however, have photos of my sewing room to show you :) I had painted the closet white on Friday night by myself (it was formerly a hideous tan color - yuck, why would anyone want a tan closet?!) So when my family came, my sisters put the second coat in the closet and painted the walls in the room as well. I went back on Sunday to trim out around the ceiling, floor, and molding and this is how it looked when I was done:
Don't you just love the color! It's Icy Mint by Valspar and I am thrilled with it every time I go in the room. It's so much cheerier than that weird country blue.
Also, check out all the different colors of trim in the before photo here. Word to the wise - your trim colors (chair rail and base boards and door edging) should be all the same color folks. Just a little design tip from me to you. I never knew this wasn't common knowledge until buying this house. Also, we painted the ceiling too. This was mostly out of necessity since the previous owners loved to stick glow in the dark stars on there and leave them up for 30 years. That sticky tack was not coming off! Not even with sanding. So we painted it and hoped for the best and it really does disguise the spots and looks nice and fresh in there now.

We have also learned that plaster walls suck up A LOT of paint. Just this room took almost an entire gallon of paint. Also the closet and trim took 2/3rds of a gallon by themselves! And I still have to touch up!  I did go and paint the chair rail yesterday, but I have to touch up a few spots so I will save that for a big reveal when it's all done. I'm so excited! I almost have one room completely finished! Hizzah!

So, there's a small update on the house. We have a bunch of progress done in the master bedroom, but I don't have pictures yet, so I will make sure to take some this weekend.

It's coming along - slowly but surely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!