Thursday, May 10, 2012

Me Made Mother's Day

Funds are really quite tight in the Shimer household right now, so wen it came down to it I knew I couldn't buy my mom a gift that she would deserve. This made me sad, so I started thinking of things I could make or do for her to let her know how special she really is. Suddenly I remembered something that would be perfect.

Back when I bought my green damask fabric (the stuff for my Me Made May dress), my mom and I also bought cute fabric to use on an apron pattern I have. I was pretty enthusiastic about mine and I cut it out, but I have yet to sew it at all - it's all together in a bag. Lucky for me, my mom never even took her fabric home. It has been sitting with my stash for all this time! So today, I have accomplished the seemingly impossible and made her the apron she wanted using the fabric she chose :)
Isn't the fabric cute? We both chose different aprons off of Simplicity 4282 and my mom wanted option E (which is the blonde illustrated woman in the top right). She wanted just that shape minus the eyelet ruffle at the neck and pocket and minus all that embroidery. At the time I kept thinking she was choosing a hard one, but boy am I glad I was wrong. This was seriously the easiest apron ever. I cut out the main piece in the white with flowers (just like mom wanted) and used the black for the straps and the pockets. I didn't take any photos of the sewing process since it was so simple, but here is the finished product:
The edges are just finished with black bias tape, so I decided to jazz things up a bit by using fuchsia colored thread. It looks nice, but you can easily see a few spots that I messed up. Oh well, I know my mom won't mind since I made it for her - mom's are good like that :) Plus it's a busy fabric, so you don't really see the mistakes unless I point them out.
The straps are just designed to tie on - seriously this is the most basic apron ever. I'm glad I finished it, but I'm kind of wishing my mom had wanted something  a little fancier. Oh well, whatever she wants :)
I added bias tape around the edges of the pocket to give them a little visual interest since I didn't add the ruffle. It looks good, but man was that a pain. I saved the pockets for last and literally with only 3 inches left to sew, my machine ate the fabric. I was able to recover it without cutting a whole in the fabric, but man was that frustrating. I made 2 pockets instead of just one - I love symmetry.

All in all, I'm happy with how it came out. Sure there are some mistakes that make it look home made, but I know that my mom will love it because I made it. Plus it's just nice to have the satisfied feeling you get when you take a piece of fabric and turn it into something usable :) I'm really proud of myself that I was able to do this whole project in one day and I'm super excited for Sunday to roll around so I can give it to my mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!